CandyLand Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Spy update) The Ambassador

+2
[ESG] dmitri
S.W.A.T.Y
6 posters

Go down

(Spy update) The Ambassador Empty (Spy update) The Ambassador

Post by S.W.A.T.Y Tue May 19, 2009 2:24 pm

S.W.A.T.Y
S.W.A.T.Y

Number of posts : 467
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

(Spy update) The Ambassador Empty Re: (Spy update) The Ambassador

Post by [ESG] dmitri Tue May 19, 2009 6:46 pm

Without increased damage output or stopping power I won't consider it. 100% accuracy is no big deal if you do 10 dps
[ESG] dmitri
[ESG] dmitri

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by S.W.A.T.Y Tue May 19, 2009 7:23 pm

People at steam forums are going crazy, they are like "oh no, its too op, plz valve change it"
S.W.A.T.Y
S.W.A.T.Y

Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post by George Clooney Tue May 19, 2009 7:36 pm

thats why i dont read the steam forums, people judge things way too early.
George Clooney
George Clooney

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by SaigonTimeMD Tue May 19, 2009 8:07 pm

There's GOT to be a damage increase; the update doesn't specifically state a damage increase, but the language (put two wheels on this thing and it's a cannon...a gun that packs this much heat, etc.) definitely points to a dramatic increase in damage output.

I think what we may be looking at here is a pistol capable of one-hit kill headshots which will also probably do a huge amount of damage close-up, while at the same time have an insanely slow firing rate. This seems actually pretty decent, as sort of a ranged backstab and a backup for those times when we've got a high value target to take out, but he/she may be in a place where a backstab just isn't the ideal way to take him/her out.

Obviously it won't be as dangerous as the sniper rifle (or maybe a scattergun), but this will definitely turn Spies into a close-range force that Pyros and Scoots might think twice about rushing.
SaigonTimeMD
SaigonTimeMD

Number of posts : 299

http://saigontime-MD.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by [ESG] dmitri Tue May 19, 2009 10:55 pm

The spy should have close range fire power but I still believe that in a fair fight where a spy and a non-spy both see each other the spy should lose. The revolver is currently the only primary that can't 2 shot a full health player (including the 125 ones) which I wouldn't mind seeing changed but since a spy can get into rape range so easily (even in their face) there should be large repercussions to keep it from becoming overpowered.

an extra 3 damage at close range (5% power increase) would make the gun significantly better.

p.s. I'm hate dying to a scout/engineer/sniper to see that they have 4 health left since I only hit them twice
[ESG] dmitri
[ESG] dmitri

Back to top Go down

Post by SaigonTimeMD Wed May 20, 2009 4:42 am

[ESG] dmitri wrote:The spy should have close range fire power but I still believe that in a fair fight where a spy and a non-spy both see each other the spy should lose. The revolver is currently the only primary that can't 2 shot a full health player (including the 125 ones) which I wouldn't mind seeing changed but since a spy can get into rape range so easily (even in their face) there should be large repercussions to keep it from becoming overpowered.

an extra 3 damage at close range (5% power increase) would make the gun significantly better.

p.s. I'm hate dying to a scout/engineer/sniper to see that they have 4 health left since I only hit them twice

I almost feel it needs to be higher, honestly. Maybe it's just because I'm bad with a revolver, but. As much damage as the Revolver puts out there, it lacks the same overall stopping power that many of the other sidearms (the pistol in particular) has because of the low shot count and the slow rate of fire. However, I'll take an even slower rate of fire anyday if it means that I'll be able to drop a scout or a sniper in two shots, crit or not.
SaigonTimeMD
SaigonTimeMD

Back to top Go down

Post by Jman Wed May 20, 2009 7:48 am

imo it should have a slow down effect like natascha... would allow spies to make a quick get away
Jman
Jman

Number of posts : 190

Back to top Go down

Post by SaigonTimeMD Wed May 20, 2009 9:10 am

In my experience, Spies either fight in close-quarters or not at all; that being said, a slowdown really doesn't help out in close quarters. If you use it on a Scout or an Engineer, you'll get shotgunned. On a Medic, you'll get needled down. On a Pyro...you're still on fire, and the flamethrower's range is nasty; failing that, shotgunned. A soldier will just rocket you the same, it's not like he has to worry about the splash damage all that much. A Heavy will just spin up and cut you to ribbons unless there's a piece of cover immediately available (which in and of itself makes the slowdown a bit obsolete for a Spy). On another Spy it's just as useless because either he's going to slow your escape down or he'll take you apart with his faster Revolver. The only two classes a CQ slowdown might be effective on are Demos and Snipers, but a Demo can easily fling stickies and 'nades, and a Sniper can just zoom in and PRO BODY SHOT SNIPAN you to death.

If they were going to add any sort of additional effect to the gun, I'd think it would be a knockback because that would at least benefit the Spy more. But I think this is just going to be your average, run-of-the-mill, 'look Ma, watch me headshot this zoomed-in Sniper execution-style' hand cannon, something meant to get rid of the fact that Spies are probably the weakest class in close-quarters in any situation where they'd use the Revolver to begin with.
SaigonTimeMD
SaigonTimeMD

Back to top Go down

Post by Runtime Wed May 20, 2009 2:09 pm

The revolver is blatantly overpowered. It's easy as hell to go revolver spy on a typical pub and top frag
Runtime
Runtime

Number of posts : 258

Back to top Go down

Post by SaigonTimeMD Wed May 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Jesus Christ Runtime, do you ever do anything but complain? I hope you'll finally crack a smile when the Soldier update comes out, good god.

Also: if a Spy is getting most of his kills with a Revolver, then he's doing it fucking wrong and anyone he kills with it deserves to be killed that way.
SaigonTimeMD
SaigonTimeMD

Back to top Go down

Post by [ESG] dmitri Wed May 20, 2009 3:43 pm

Runtime wrote:The revolver is blatantly overpowered. It's easy as hell to go revolver spy on a typical pub and top frag

If you can do well as a pure revolver spy, you'd do even better as a scout whose weapons are simply superior.
[ESG] dmitri
[ESG] dmitri

Back to top Go down

Post by Runtime Wed May 20, 2009 5:09 pm

Scout is the most overpowered class in the game

I do complain cause Valve is just trying to address 32 player pub stuff with the unlocks, adding gimmick unlocks (energy drink, scout dont need gatorade to run around with pretyt colors) with gimmick maps (arena watchtower what the hell is that) and gimmick game modes (payload already bad enough, now we have to see 24/7 double payload)

I talk about this game from the more competitive view of it been long bored of the epic 16 v 16 firefights that used to entertain me, now I speak of it with rules like 8v8 nocrits, 1 med, 2 solly, 1 demo, 2 scout, 2 wildcard classes.

In that kind of game it's pretty much that scout is most powerful, then the demoman, medic is the class you want the best player playing, and soldiers are totally useless and vulnerable. Reptile used to play soldier for pandy/complexity now he plays demoman cause the demo has more ammo, can do more damage, is more of a game changer, and soldiers can easily get ruined by scouts even w/ a med - just get meatshotted twice and then the self damage from your rocket will kill you, it's like 100 health)

The spy got a buff it didnt really need with instant backstabs, and the revolver is as powerful as the scatter gun at medium distance

this might look average but its in a 6v6 match between pandemic and idemise, took out like 5 players
Runtime
Runtime

Number of posts : 258

Back to top Go down

Post by [ESG] dmitri Wed May 20, 2009 5:16 pm

An awesome scout is powerful simply because he is a better spy. He can quickly get into raping range, gets a free 105 damage at t = 0 and then another 105 at t = 0.8s. The difference is that it works everywhere and is still strong at range. Also the pistol can be fired as fast as your client update rate allows making demomen/soldiers without a medic on them cry.

Double jump and 166% speed allows for a whole lot of map abuse if you're pro enough: jumping around on what looks less like ledges and more like decoration.

For the backstab buff:

most of the pro spies dislike it since they were already good at abusing the mechanics to perform flickstabs (kill with regular animation instead of the slow and special one) and the new one has crappy range.
[ESG] dmitri
[ESG] dmitri

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down