CandyLand Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sniper update

5 posters

Go down

Sniper update Empty Sniper update

Post by S.W.A.T.Y Tue May 12, 2009 2:13 pm

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58597

It looks like you can take out the whole team with those arrows. People are saying its TOO OP already.
S.W.A.T.Y
S.W.A.T.Y

Number of posts : 467
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

Sniper update Empty Re: Sniper update

Post by synthetic Tue May 12, 2009 2:21 pm

swaty posted it 3 minutes before me >.<
Sniper update F_51220092122m_594abc0

http://www.teamfortress.com/sniperupdate/

synthetic
synthetic

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by SaigonTimeMD Tue May 12, 2009 2:29 pm

And people wonder why the statistics for the heavy are going down steadily.

It LOOKS OP, but let's consider what we know (or can infer) before jumping to conclusions.

Sniper update 11979_4a09d84755df8

The Huntsman is:
A bow
Has 18 shots
Takes one second to full charge
Kills in one headshot

Now, let's go with what we can infer:
- since it is a bow, the Huntsman will, more than likely, have a much slower rate of fire.
- also, it will probably have reduced damage -- not as big a reduction as the FaN vs. Scattergun, but still noticeable, as it is a bow (compared to a high-velocity rifle), as well as its feature of pinning enemies.
- ammo capacity is reduced, but this a moot point; most snipers will always have ammo readily available to them regardless of weapon.
- the one-second charge shot is a bit short, but also think about the (likely) increased loading time. It's a slight step up from the rifle's charge time, but I don't think it's overpowered.
- killing in one headshot is nothing new to Snipers or their victims, QQmoar.
- as you can easily see from promo shots, there is no scope. There are two possibilities here: one is that it remains without ANY zoom function, which (I think) would be a bit unfair. No-scoping is hard enough. The other possibility, which I think is more likely, is that it will have a LIMITED zoom capability (in comparison with the rifle) where the Sniper 'focuses in.'
- a sort of peripheral thing is: will the arrows fly straight, or will they have a slight arc to them? I would guess they fly straight when charged completely, and move in an arc un-zoomed/un-charged, but that's just speculation. I have more thoughts, but dinner calls.

Last edited by SaigonTimeMD on Tue May 12, 2009 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
SaigonTimeMD
SaigonTimeMD

Number of posts : 299

http://saigontime-MD.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by George Clooney Tue May 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Another note that siagon faild to point out is that the arrows themselves may travel slower than bullets. I imagine that since the idea was to get snipers more willing to get up closer to their targets that a faster charge time is nessisary. Also Noscoping is not that hard. (Siagon I hope your not still using the standard crosshairs)
George Clooney
George Clooney

Number of posts : 482

Back to top Go down

Post by Runtime Tue May 12, 2009 7:18 pm

Its absolutely stupid. Valve you fucking retards, stuns don't belong in an fps, they should be in an MMORPG. The sandman has already been banned from most good servers, likewise this weapon will also be banned.

Killing someone should require you to be able to AIM AND SHOOT AT THEM AND TAKE SOME SKILL

This absolutely fucking counter intuitive to their recent blog post. They said that players absolutely abhor deaths in which they cannot fight back, such as that of the sniper. WELL WHEN YOURE FUCKING FROZEN BECAUSE OF A SANDMAN OR PINNED AGAINST A WALL HOW THE FUCK YOU GOING TO AVOID DYING?
Runtime
Runtime

Number of posts : 258

Back to top Go down

Post by SaigonTimeMD Tue May 12, 2009 7:33 pm

Woah woah, Runtime, calm down.

First of all, I doubt it's going to act like a stun. It would seem banal to me to add a SECOND stunning weapon to the game, especially after just releasing an update with a stunning weapon. More likely is that it'll have a significant knockback/slowdown similar to the FaN/Natascha that will simulate the transfer of kinetic force between the arrow and the target. My thought would be the only time anyone is actually 'pinned' is when it's a killshot, whether to the head or the body.

EDIT: Runtime, I direct you to this new blog post: http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2499
SaigonTimeMD
SaigonTimeMD

Number of posts : 299

http://saigontime-MD.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S.W.A.T.Y Wed May 13, 2009 11:44 am

IT DOESNT FUCKING STUN YOU RUNTIME. GO FUCKING READ WHAT VALVE SAID, THEY SAID IT DOESNT FUCKING STUN YOU, ONE SHOT AND IT KILLS YOU.
S.W.A.T.Y
S.W.A.T.Y

Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post by Runtime Wed May 13, 2009 3:49 pm

I DIDNT SEE THE NEWER BLOG POST K
Runtime
Runtime

Number of posts : 258